Author Topic: Do we have swap meets?  (Read 4530 times)

AylmerQc

Do we have swap meets?
« on: October 16, 2005, 10:10:06 am »
Any annual events for Mac owners who want to get rid of their unwanted items? Just curious,,

jml

Repeater04

Re: Do we have swap meets?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 11:32:10 am »
Actually, .that would be a great idea! We should try and organize one. Sounds like an easy and interesting way to possibly find something you are looking for, and at the same time, we may either be able to sell or trade some of our unwanted items.A good way also, of meeting  other Mac enthusiasts.

AylmerQc

Re Reply
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 06:02:17 pm »
Maybe there were some in the past? To me it would be a good idea, maybe at the regular meetings or on a Saturday or Sunday now that the good weather is gone for a while. We could contact the Outaouais owners club.  If anyone is good at organizing such events,or has contacts/locations available...? Personnally, I couldn't organize a beerfest in a brewerie so I can't be much help on this.

Michael Humphrey

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 07:16:40 pm »
The MUGOO usually has an annual swap meet at their final meeting of the calendar year (in December).
I believe that the date tends to be the first Monday in December (normally the meeting date is the 4th Monday of every month), so as to avoid the holiday rush.

Ok, I just checked www.mugoo.com, and right on the main page the date is 12 Dec 2005.

Unfortunately, perhaps, (and the members who attend the live meetings can correct me or fill us in with information) the end-of-the-year swap meet seems to be finished. I decided to check out the notes from the meetings, and this is what I found:

January 2002 iMeeting write-up
    <snip>
    Paul Timmins started things off by revealing that the 2002 iSwap meeting (December) was an endangered species. If members were
    interested in saving this event, they would need to inform the executive of their wishes. He assured us that if the iSwap was not
    revived, alternative meeting ideas would be brought forward.
    <snip>

So it looks like the annual swap-meet (iSwap) may be dead, after all. I didn't see any mention of it in the Dec 2003 and Dec 2004 meeting write-ups.

Maybe if you talk to the executive, you could persuade them to set it up.

Personally, I've found this message board to be a useful source for finding Mac odds and ends.

-Mike

DEWLine

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 02:33:52 pm »
No doubt the message board's filling that need for some. Still, one likes to have multiple options available. :-)